From:
Justine Shrider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2000 06:24:15 -0600
> I recently succeeded in making my first batch of pemmican.

I'v been fascinated with the idea of making pemmican since I read
NEANDERTHIN. However I just haven't gone out to buy the equipment,i.e., a
food dehydrator, a food processor, etc. When you mentioned the vita-mix, it
made the job seem easier (I don't have one, but a former vegetarian, who is
a good friend of mine does). She's also interested in these foods. I assume
you made your own jerky. Did you flavor it in any way? In the book, Ray
Audette suggests making it plain. Also, was it hard to make the pemmican.
I'm remembering a time when I tried to make suet cakes for the birds and
ended up with a runny mess. I'd appreciate knowing how you went about this.
I'm glad it worked out well for you and that you like it. Seems it would
make a wonderful food to take on car trips.