From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Oct 2011 14:37:25 -0700
Hi Jim,
Allan Ballett said: "Cancer, apparently, was all but unknown in
traditional cultures."

This is not the same as saying that humans never got cancer. Geoff just
got it wrong.

He has provided several links but they are all by or about Michael
Fumento's rhetoric attacking Gary Taubes. No matter who is speaking,
there will always be some detractors.

One of the reasons that cancer is exceedingly rare among humans eating a
traditional diet is that those diets did not contain highly refined
carbohydrates. Even a cursory glance at Nobel laureate, Otto Warburg's
depiction of energy use by cancer cells, published in 1926, shows that
insulin and glucose are important factors in cancer cell reproduction.
Simply put, he showed that our highly glycemic diet promotes cancer
growth. Because the very basis of Atkins' work and a great deal of
subsequent work in the field of metabolism bears out Warburg's
hypothesis, it is nothing short of incompetence that led to the
vilification of saturated fats.

Further, the findings in a group of 16 cancer patients with a variety of
advanced (hopeless??) cancers. Five of these patients experienced a halt
or regression in tumor growth.  The harsh constraints imposed by the
ethics committee, the very mild level of ketosis achieved, and the
allowance of many more carbs than are usually eaten while in ketosis,
combine to suggest that the remission rates would have been even better
had these people stuck to a stricter diet........ but the victims
probably "knew" it was a very bad diet with all that fat. The
researchers certainly report that it was difficult to get these subjects
to stick to their diet.

The low glycemic nature of most traditional diets would make most of the
rare cancers that did arise fairly benign, resulting in individuals
dying with them, rather than from them.

best wishes,
Ron

--