From:
Rob Street <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Mar 1999 06:44:03 PST
B. Lischer wrote:
>I've had a tough time finding range fed beef.  I live in southern
California
>where there are tons of health food stores, but the trend seems to be
mostly
>vegetarian.  How would the average guy go about finding a rancher and
buying
>a calf, and what would he do with the calf once he's bought it?

I don't know much about Southern California, and I am at an advantage to
do this sort of thing living in Texas ( though I don't really have to,
since about half of my meat consumption is wild ).  Try to find out
where ranching takes place in your part of the state.  You might be
surprised to find out how close to the city it is.  Again, I don't know
California, but someone is ranch there somewhere.  Once you have the
animal, get it to a butcher.  This will probably require recruiting the
help of someone with the appropriate trailer, probably the rancher.
Check to see if any of the colleges near you have an animal science
program.  If so, they could tell you everything you need to know, from
purchasing the calf to getting it on your table.

-Rob