From:
Liza May <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 1999 07:45:00 -0400
Mary,
> How can we propagate wild blackberries? They grow native here along the
> creeks and I was wondering if I could cut off a shoot and try to propagate
> it in my yard, or what?

Burpee is a great company for seeds, and loads of great information
about growing just about everything, including berries. My dad has
been growing totally delicious blackberries for years, using Burpee
plants. Here's the url:

http://www.burpee.com/

Also Rodale in Pennsylvania is a great company, with loads of
information and resources for growing anything and everything. Here's
their url:

http://www.organicgardening.com/

Now that you've mentioned wild blackberries, I've got a question. We
also see them growing wild EVERYWHERE around here, but most of all
along the highways, in the dense thickets besides exit ramps and so
on. Every year we go out with buckets and collect just far more than
we can ever eat. But we always wonder about the fumes and dust from
the car exhaust - if maybe it's stuck all over the berries and it
might not be the greatest idea to be eating it. (We wash them, but
they're fragile, so you really can't wash them too vigorously).

Any thoughts on this?

Love Liza

--
[log in to unmask] (Liza May)