From:
Stacie Tolen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 15:12:41 -0500
Hi all,
A recent flaming email exchange with a new acquaintance from another list
(who I came to think of as "Der Fuehrer"- although she does not know this)
reminds me of an "urban legend" I once heard: that Hitler was a vegetarian.

The information that I have been able to obtain is that Hitler was not, in
fact, a "vegetarian" by *today's* definition (consumes no animal flesh). It
is said that he was fond of roasted game birds, although he did not eat them
very often. Apart from that, it seems his diet was chiefly vegetarian.
However, it is a comonly known fact that Hitler ate virtually no red meat
for the 13 years or so prior to his death, is that correct? In the 1930's
such dietary practice was called vegetarianism. Not eating the occasional
bird or fish was generally considered extreme. At least this is what my
grandmother says. Again, the technology factor I guess.

Now the woman that I mentioned was being a fascist boob, to put it extremely
kindly, in response to the presence of a carnivore on her beloved "natural
parenting" list. (Nowhere in their charter does it claim to be a list for
vegetarians.) It was after I had experienced her extreme hostility and
perfected talent of twisting words and reading between the lines that I
began to think of her as "Der Fuerher". She will do everything that she can
to assimilate any members of that list into her lifestyle (12 years and
running), or else drive them off the list. (But she hasn't had much to say
today!)

Dori points out to me that vegetarians often like to tell you what *you* are
doing *wrong* whereas we paleofolk for example, like to focus on healthful
benefits of our favorite foods. This has been my observation too.

So what do you think? This correlation is too much of a coincidence. Could a
long term vegetarian diet be directly related to such hostile behavior? Is
extreme militancy caused or aggravated by iron and B-vitamin deficiencies,
and low fat and cholesterol? I've noticed that veggie moms, my former self
included, are most intolerable. Perhaps ultimately, if these deficiencies
are not corrected, they can become intolerable to even themselves. We all
know how Hitler died.

All of the web sites I have found which discuss Hitler's diet are trying to
prove the point that Hitler was not a true vegetarian, so therefore a
vegetarian diet cannot be a factor in Hitler's behavior. But taking a closer
look, there is much more to it than that, isn't there?

Amadeus, you wouldn't have happened to have learned anything in school which
we Americans may not know about Hitler's diet, that we might be interested
in on this list?

Just wondering,
Stacie
who is really not flaming anybody! :)