From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 12:54:42 -0500
Hi Rob,

You are so right -- the study didn't mention triglycerides.  I had read it
on another source while doing some research on the Ornish diet and wrongly
attributed the info to the 4 diet comparison study.  Thanks for correcting
me!

I got Ornish = High Triglcerides from the article below.  Plus, if you go
to Ornish's lifestyle section at Web MD , there is a section where people
ask him questions and several pertain to the fact that after following his
regime, their triglycerices rose.  See link below with these questions +
Ornish's responses.  In his response to one such question  Ornish conceads
that his program can raise triglycerides in some people and recommends the
following: 1. use only whole grains and fruits and veggies and avoid
refined carbohydrates and sugars 2. exercise and 3. supplement with fish
oil. In his response to another question regarding the ability of
carbohydrates to raise triglycerides, he claims that excess calories will
rise triglycerides regardless of their source.

When I was a vegan following a regime very close to Ornish's called
McDougall plan (vegan, + I exercised regularly as he suggests but did not
do any formal stress reduction such as meditation) -- my life was bowls of
brown rice, tofu, steamed veggies w/tamari and fruit.  I felt bloated,
hungry and had major fatigue problems.  My triglycerides did not become
dangerously high (they were low-mid 100s), but they were much higher than
they are now (37).  The program wasn't for me -- but perhaps others are
more adapted to a high carb approach.

Anyway -- thanks again for the correction.

http://216.239.41.104/search?
q=cache:a9Be1WCobWUJ:www.mercola.com/article/carbohydrates/scientific_eviden
ce_low_grains2.htm+ornish+and+effect+on+triglycerides&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

http://my.webmd.com/search/search_results?
query=triglycerides&filter=mywebmd_all_filter