From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2013 15:22:08 -0400
David Harrison wrote:
 >Diane Heath
 >>I'm wondering whether anyone has any differing opinion on this article.It
 >>attempts to loosen the parameters of what Paleo nutrition really is.
 >>
 >>http://www.care2.com/causes/was-your-body-made-to-eat-meat.html

 >This article appears to me like blog-blather.
 >It says a whole lot of nothing with BS tossed in,

I see plenty of this from my Google Alerts. At least this one allows
comments. Often, if it is a columnist being paid by a publication,
any comments correcting mistakes are not printed. The columnist wants
to maintain their infallibility of being an expert on whatever they
write about.

 >Dr. Christina Warriner (Ph.D. from Harvard University, specializing in
 >ancient DNA analysis and paleodietary reconstruction) gave a TEDx talk in
 >which she cites evidence that 30,000 years ago humans were using stone tools
 >similar to a mortar and pestle to grind grains and seeds."

I watched the talk. Vegetarians claim she debunked paleo. Not quite.
She does mention the 30,000 years ago. But note it is tempered with
the addition of seeds. It may have mostly been seeds and not grains.
And even if 30,000 years ago, it is still a small part of the
Paleolithic period.

And much of her talk is on how the vegetables and fruits of today are
not at all like there were in paleo terms. She uses this as an
example of how the paleo diet's focus on these is misguided, as they
are not the same as they were in paleo times. She does not focus on
grass-fed meat.

 >"I know it doesn't sound as sexy as "Paleo", but the Mediterranean Diet does
 >actually work."
 >The "Mediterranean Diet" may work for some, but so what?

The article claims that the Mediterranean Diet reduces problems 30%.
They claim that is good. The paleo diet should reduce problems 100%.
At least if it has been followed strictly for life.

The other thing I saw in this article was first a list of all the
foods eliminated. Then only meat was left. What happened to
vegetables and fruits? The writer is clearly biased and wrote the
article in a way to make paleo look bad.

Don.