From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 23:46:13 -0500
From: [log in to unmask]
Moody:
>Amadeus has never proposed the thesis that early man lived
>entirely on plant foods.  Never.

Pretty damn close it seems.  He is after all
a vegetarian claiming to emulate a paleo diet.

>He himself chooses to live on plant foods, by attempting to
>select those plant foods that could be considered paleo (as
>opposed to other ways of being a vegetarian, such as soy-oriented
>diets).

Yes, but without much sense of proportion.

>He does this for his own reasons but has never attempted
>to argue that meat was not a part of the paleolithic diet.

Actually, he does in his own way.  He seems to think that
meat is something that man does (and did) not really need.
Like a bad habit to be outgrown.  One argument he makes is
that meat has been a type of survival food for times
when supplies of plant foods were low. In my book
that is the same as arguing that meat is an expendable,
not really a true part of the paleolithic diet.

>Now Amadeus does argue that the typical real paleo diet was
>probably less meat-dominated than what many of us on this list
>favor in our own implementations, myself include

Is that an understatement.

>He also argues that the meats that are most widely available are
>inappropriate for the purpose of paleodiet implementation.

An argument on purity that can be used to reject virtually any
kind of food as non-paleo.

>I have disputed various points with him many times over the years,
>and there are some things on which we just diagree (e.g.,
>desirable protein intake levels) but I'll say this: He is no
>fool.

Not, if you do not consider obfuscation foolish behavior.

>I have no interest in becoming a vegetarian but I have learned to
>respect Amadeus's views on paleodiet.

He deserves credit for making the best of his vegetarian diet.
Regarding his views on paleo diet I had better not comment any
further.

>He is also a decent person who does not deserve the verbal
>abuse that you choose to direct at him.

Yes and no.  His evasive troll like behavior is not decent
which is why it pushes so many buttons.

>Amadeus has chosen not to engage in debate with you,
>because of your boorish behavior.  There's some wisdom in that.

It is bit of a cop-out, IMO.  I think he is not engaging because
his bluff is being called.

Peter