From:
Scott Bonner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jul 2005 12:48:36 -0700
Adrienne Smith wrote:

>Someone on a UK low-carb forum I participate in
posted the following link
>to a very interesting story regarding meal frequency.
 I think it may be
>relevant here because it mentions our hunter-gatherer
metabolisms when our
>eating patterns would have been a combo of feast and
famine.

>http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8126-1707912,00.html

Kind of along these lines, a couple of months ago I
had written Loren Cordain with a question about
exercise and low blood sugar.  In his response, he
talked about some modern-day hunter-gatherers in South
America.  From what he said, it seems that they may
live on a similar type of fast and feast schedule.  He
wrote:

"In support of this notion (increased efficiency of
fat utilization during exercise) is evidence from the
Ache hunter-gatherers from Paraguay.  My research
colleague, Dr. Kim Hill from the Univ of NM has spent
the last 30 years studying the Ache people and has
gone along with the men as they hunt peccaries in the
forests.  Kim reports that the men frequently would
get up in the morning, eat no breakfast and then chase
after peccary herds, in hunts that could last 6-8
hours or more.  During this time the Ache men took no
food and only drank water during the extended chase.
Kim said he tried to "run with the hunt" with the Ache
men, but could never do it.  He always had to have his
breakfast to be able to keep up.  He told me the Ache
men would laugh at him.  Apparently, these hunters
have metabolic systems that make magnificent use of
the fatty acid metabolic pathways.  It would be
interesting to measure IMT stores, and beta-oxidation
pathways (fat breakdown) in the Ache and compare them
to westerners."

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs