From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Feb 2000 17:16:07 -0800
Kendra_&_Karen wrote:

> David Karas wrote:
> > I have adopted a non paleo solution and eat at least 5 pounds of raw
> > milk cheese a week.
>
> David- do you make the cheese or purchase from a store?  What kind of
> cheese do you get, exactly?  What will ingredient list be?

I have been buying Sonnet Farms VERY LOW SODIUM CHEDDAR Cheese.
Ingredients: Made from Grade "A" cultured raw milk, vegetable enzymes.
(This is rennetless cheese)
1 OZ. serving contains no more than 35 MG of sodium
(I eat at least 12 oz/day)
I pay $5.29/pound. Whole foods carries this cheese also but charges
$6.79/pound. There are other varieties. They also make salted cheeses.
Another supplier is Landmark but I do not have a package handy to give
the ingredients. There are other makers of raw cheese and most are
salted. This may or not matter to you. I stick with raw milk because I
am not sure what effect the pasteurization has and prefer not trust it.
Occasionally I will eat some pasteurized milk cheese in social
situations. Goat milk cheese is available but is usually salted.

> > Aging seems to improve the digestability of the meat. We seem to
> > function well as scavingers in spite of what we are told. The
> > uncovered part allows the air to circulate around the meat and will
> > avoid bad odors.
>
> Do you ever notice a chemical type taste from your refrigerated foods?
> like freon?  or the chemicals used as coolants?  Uncovered food in our
> fridge can taste weird sometimes?  We are not sure what it is attributed
> to?  Also, what is your fridge temperature normally to age these meats?

I don't notice any chemical tastes and have used several different
refrigerators. I don't know the temperature but it chosen so that
vegetables do not freeze.

> We eat beef raw from Whole Foods and have found the taste to be better.

In Los Angeles, the Whole Food stores carry New Zealand beef and lamb
which are grass fed. I don't know if it is carried elsewhere.

> If they package it in plastic rather than wax paper it will take on a
> plast-icky, chemical taste.  We remove it from packaging when we get
> home and put in the freezer.  Does anyone know if the freezer actually
> kills any possible bacteria.  We are not sure where but we read that
> freezing can be equivalent to searing meats.  We do not have a problem
> eating it raw any way.  We might want to try it aged though.

Meat that has been frozen and then thawed seems to spoil quicker so try
to use it immediately and do not try to age it any further. The ice
crystals during thawing will break down the cells in the meat and it is
not longer naturally protected. I try to avoid any frozen foods.
Freezing for 14 days is supposed to kill parasites but I don't think
bacteria are as vulnerable. I have never had any trouble with bacteria.
Smell your meat if it is bad the smell will be bad and sharp. I know at
least one person who eats meat that has turned green with little things
crawling in it. This is not what I mean by bad. Some people sear their
meats but I do not feel that this is necessary and still prefer my meat
unheated.