From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 06:33:26 -0500
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:12:30 -0500, R Bartlett <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Also, according to Des Maison (Potatoes Not Prozac), extra insulin is
>required to push tryptophan over the blood-brain barrier for conversion to
>serotonin (usually as we sleep).  The amino acid tryptophan was gained in
>our last meal involving protein.  But Des Maison argues that a high
>glycemic
>carbohydrate (i.e. potato) in the evening is necessary for this
>tryptophan-transport activity.
My informations gained from books of topic 5-htp and several website is:
Brain needs tryptophan (to make 5-htp and serotonin then).
Entrance of tryptophan slowed down by competition with other amino acids.
Having high insulin (e.g. in the evening) helps to butn off some of the
(competing) amino acids, so troptophan can enter better.
Eating a high protein food enters all amino acids of the particular protein.
If you want tryptophan to cross the barrier you can eat protein which are
relative high in tryptophan *compared to* other amino acids.
(not just high protein what includes all amino acids).
Or you can eat "normal" proteins and eat a insulin elevating  meal to burn
off the wrong competing amino acids (at best some hours after a high protein
food).

Foods *relative* high in tryptophan i posted on the list some months ago
(search for tryptophan).

>Incidentally, Des Maison argues (erroneously, in my opinion) that a potato
>is superior to a refined carbohydrate (like candy) because it slowly
>releases its glucose thus preventing "beta-endorphin priming" and the
>downregulation of neuroreceptors.  This is a faulty argument because the
>glycemic index reveals that a potato creates an equivalent glucose and
>insulin spike as many refined carbohydrates.

Potatoe is far superior to refined carbohydrates, because it is a whole food
still containing the coenzymes we need to use the carbs.
Refined carbs contain nothing.
We aren't ovens where the fire just burns with air.
We use a catalytic oxidation of our carbon containing food (and that are
carbohydrates, protein and fat) to gain the energy for mental clearness,
heat, chemistry and every movement.
Pure carbohydrates just don't give *any* energy, nothing, zero.

The only use for them would be if other food items contained a *surplus* of
coenzymes, or if coenzymes would be eaten as supplements.
Furthermore the body struggles to carry away the blood glucose by other
means like by adipose cells which fortunately help to remove them off the
blood (unfortunately by depositing them).

Known coenzymes which are essential (must come from the food) are thiamin,
riboflavin, niacin, ascorbate, cobalamin. Some more (like alpha lipoic
acid) can be made in the body, but at a unknown cost. Unknown and uncertain,
because they were present in all food items for all the eons before food
begun to become processed or "refined".

Regards,
Amadeus S.