From:
Padraig Hogan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Jul 2009 22:52:03 -0400
On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 17:40:46 -0600, Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jul 2009 11:00:48 -0600, Padraig Hogan
>What I've seen from your posts is that because YOU don't want to/can't eat
>so much meat,
>that paleo man must not have eaten it either.  And you refer to a book or
>two.
>
>The other side has numerous books, research findings, and huge numbers of
>published papers supporting the large role of hunting and meat in paleo
>diets.
>
>I don't think you'll change the mind of very many members here.

*shrug* You're probably right.

On Sat, 4 Jul 2009 17:14:42 -0700, Ron Hoggan, Ed. D.
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hi Padraig,
>
>While we are remembering that there is some controversy surrounding the
>exact nature of the diet consumed by Paleolithic humans, could you tell me,
>from your perspective, what paleo people ate when fruits were out of season?
>(eg: winter and spring) There really is a limit to the number of frozen
>berries that would be available, although that might be seen as an
>evolutionary factor in support of our molars.

They ate other fruits?! What do chimpanzees do? We don't know how many
fruits were around then. Maybe they went and ate loads of vegetables, herbs
etc. Africa goes through the equator, so there are some places that don't
have seasons at all, and they're not too intense except near the lower part.

>Also, humans have long since lost their ability to extract nutrients from
>cellulose fibers, due to the shrinking of the appendix. Thus, I would agree
>that Paleolithic Man did not eat any books, including Paleo Diet. :-)

Yes, but recent analysis has shown that fibre is the single one thing lacking in
human diet today and the cause of obesity, cancer, urinary problems, you
name it and the reason  people have it is because they're not eating enough
books... wait err, actually no, books are the worst thing you could POSSIBLY
eat, the synthetic *poisons* and toxins found in books have been shown to
cause all kinds of cancers in mice when fed in times just 100 million times
greater than are in books. :)

>Joking aside, we have been debating the exact nature of the paleo diet on
>this list for as many years as it has been in operation. Many of us are open
>to debate and discussion on this level. However, when your evidence is that
>you can't imagine wanting to eat a lot of meat, then you lose credibility.

But... I love fruit. And since I discovered it I've done really well on it. Actually
I ate some muesli (mainly unprocessed cereal) and yoghurts (with sprinkles in
the side) because I was busy and didn't have time, resources etc. to go
buying fruits. I think my insulin went through the roof, I felt terrible and I was
on the verge of tears. Later I came home and slept for a while, that was the
first time since about the start of June I ate bad foods, although I did get a
takeaway at one point and that yoghurt at another and I don't even know
why.

>May I suggest that lurk for a while, learn the weak points in our various
>arguments, then start posting. You really might stir things up around here
>and get us thinking..... but as long as you are spouting this frutarian
>nonsense, you are not likely to get a fair hearing. It's a little like
>asking us to take the Easter Bunny seriously. It doesn't even rise to the
>level of getting us to clearly articulate our positions, which is one real
>value of a Devil's advocate.

Okay, I'll try to come up with solid evidence to support the mainly-frugivorous
theory of paleo man. Thanks for that off-list email about eating the shells of
peanuts... I thought that would be one of the typical topics around here. I
never realised people felt paleo ate such a high protein diet, but of course
you're entitled to that opinion.