From:
Mary Anne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 12:53:14 -0500
 Ashley Moran wrote:
> > Substances such as phytoestrogens are not found only in soybeans, but
> also in "paleo" foods such as certain nuts and berries, and even apples,
> although in lower quantities.  The same is true of lectins.  What
> distinguishes the edible from the inedible is not the absolute absence
> or presence of such compounds but their concentration.  If we can breed
> plants in which the concentration of problematic substances is lower,
> why not do so?

    Because it would bring us back to a religious discussion.
    Basically, we would be playing God because we don't think God did it
right the first time around (make it a little "g", if you prefer) -
*whenever* that was. And we - the creatures - think we could do it even
better than the original Creator of it all, "whoever" it was, is, or will
be.

Mary Anne Unger