From:
Jim Cales <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jan 2002 09:50:02 -0600
Greetings,
When frying one has to consider the temperature of the situation.  Most oils
have a break down point where they start to smoke and burn.   In my
situation I render fat that I get from the butcher and make lard.  That is
best for deep frying which is very hot.  Others here have mentioned coconut
oil as an alternative.  I have never tried that one.  I might add that I
rarely, if ever, deep fry anything.

For my everyday sauté needs I simply use a good olive oil and reduce the
temperature a bit.  It only adds a few minutes to the cooking and it tastes
great.  I would think that sunflower oil would be OK since it comes from a
seed that we eat anyway ( sunflower seeds make such great munchies ).  I use
sunflower oil in my homemade mayo because I find that the olive oil makes it
taste very harsh.  That however is a personal flavor issue really.

In the case of your shrimp I would try olive oil.  I often do stirfry with
olive oil and it works pretty good.  One just has to keep moving!  LOL

Jim Cales - [log in to unmask] - ICQ UIN 1492607
Columbia, Missouri USA  65203 - (573)875-5581 - MSN:[log in to unmask]
http://www.jimcales.com - http://www.ComputerGuruForHire.com