From:
Justin Hasselman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Nov 1999 10:08:22 CST
Is it the ketogenic diet that caused the premature aging, or is it the lack
of vitamin C?  For example, what if the Eskimos would have had access to
fruit.  Most of the Eskimos would still have stayed in ketosis.  A couple
pieces of fruit per day would still allow ketosis (although not for all).

Although I generally agree that ketosis isn't optiumum and will induce free
radical damage, I feel the premature aging of the Eskimos was far more
related to a lack of vitamin C.  Maybe the Eskimos problem was more along
these lines: premature aging = 80% no vit. C and 20% ketogenic diet.  The
assertion that the Eskimos had more of a problem with vit. C than ketosis is
supported by the fact that they suffered from hemorrhaging and nose bleeds,
a symptom of vit. C deficiency.

Some paleo dieters who emphasize too much protein and too little fruit and
vegies induce free radical damage in much the same way as the Eskimos.  With
the Eskimos, it was because ketones don't burn as clean as glucose does
because ketones leave byproducts which *might* be hard on the body.  With
some paleo dieters who eat too much meat in ratio to fruit and vegies,
although it is a glucose fueled system, the body will start to make glucose
out of protein -- just like ketones don't burn clean, neither does making
glucose from protein.

Just a thought,
Justin Hasselman