From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 06:39:22 +0000
.....So I repeat; lions AND tigers AND bears
>>AND dogs?  All of the above eat MOSTLY meat.
>
>So, that are 4. One of it (dog) doing well with carbohydrate fuel (though
>obviously a predator).

I can adress only this point out of the entire argument: dogs do not
metabolize carbohydrates well. They lack cellulase. They are omnivorous
carnivores, and scavenge as well as hunt. Domesticated, they came along
with humans, and have, in the process, developed all the same
life-shortening diseases humans are now experiencing - because they eat our
artificial, insufficient diets.

In nature they get carbs mainly in the stomachs of prey animals,
predigested and made up of non-agricultural vegetables and fruit. There is
no commercial dog food that comes close to providing something close. In
the 60 or so years since dog food was invented, the lifespans of all breeds
eating it have dropped with every generation, and degenerative disesases
like diabetes, cancer, IBD, arthritis, and kidney failure have become
common, just as with us.

This is the clue which pushed me into Paleo eating; my dog started thriving
on a natural - for him - diet, so I started seeking what is most natural
for humans. Amadeus feels good on something different than do I, however:)

ginny and Tomo, "Pass the liver, Mom"

All stunts performed without a net!