From:
Paleogal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:13:26 -0600
: Metabolism 1996 Feb;45(2):223-8 Related Articles, Books, LinkOut

Relation between plasma phospholipid saturated fatty acids and
hyperinsulinemia.

Folsom AR, Ma J, McGovern PG, Eckfeldt H.

Division of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of Minnesota,
Minneapolis 55454-1015, USA.

We determined whether plasma phospholipid fatty acid levels, an indicator of
fatty acid composition in the diet, are associated with fasting serum
insulin concentrations (a marker of insulin resistance). We examined
cross-sectionally 4,304 middle-aged adults free of diabetes. Plasma fatty
acid composition was quantified by gas chromatography. Fasting insulin was
strongly and positively associated with the saturated fatty acid percentage
in plasma phospholipids, moderately and inversely associated with the
monounsaturated percentage, and not appreciably associated with the
polyunsaturated percentage. Fasting insulin adjusted for age, smoking
status, alcohol consumption, and sports participation, for example, was 29%
higher in men and 33% higher in women per 1.9% greater level of saturated
fatty acids (the interquartile range). After adjustment for body mass index
(BMI) and other covariates, these estimates were 12% and 15% (P < .01 for
the difference from zero). A 1.9% greater increment in saturated fatty acid
level was also associated with a 2.4-fold higher odds of hyperinsulinemia
(fasting insulin > or = 143.5 pmol/L). These data are consistent with
studies showing that fatty acid composition of cell membranes modulates
insulin action, and support the hypothesis that increased habitual saturated
fat intake or a related dietary pattern is a risk factor for
hyperinsulinemia.

PMID: 8596494 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]