From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Aug 1999 14:41:51 -0700
"Anna L. Abrante" wrote:

> > [snip]
>
> Mr. Karas, you have a wonderful list here. Thank you for it.  I try > to respect all people, except those that show wanton disregard for > the health and safety of others (it is my job after all, so I have > little tolerance to it).

I appreciate your view point and am not trying to censor you or your
ideas. I looked at your previous posts and realized that there was no
reason to have you on review. I have removed this. Thank you for being
here. As far as "wanton disregard for the health and safety of others"
we all are exposed to the "government" warnings about safely handling
of food products. We regularly hear about people getting sick from
food poisoning. After some hesitation I have been violating many of
these warnings over the past three years. I haven't died or even
gotten sick. Am I in some way different than all of these people that
do get sick? I try not to tell others what to do but I make no secret
of what I am doing. If someone wants to try what I do, I will make
every effort to help them. I go out of my way to obtain "clean" food.
By this I mean no hormones, antibiotics, herbicides, pesticides, etc.
I can't always get exactly what I want but I do the best that I can.
Then I start breaking many of the "everybody knows" rules. I don't
refrigerate some things such as eggs. I age my meat for as much as
three weeks. Bruno Comby from France once posted to my raw-food list
that he didn't consider his meat ready for consumption until it had
turned green and and had things crawling in it. I have taken a
workshop from him and he does not look sick. Again I ask why does
anyone need to follow these "everybody knows" rules? Each person needs
to just for themselves what to do. I am only trying to provide a
balance based upon my own experience. I eat consciously. I eat when
hungry, eat things that taste good to me, stop eating when I get a
sense of "enough" (which can be a little difficult to define).

> Your friend, the now infamous 'doctor' may be a wonderful
> chiropractor, but this isn't a back list.  And his statements weren't > about back health.  I am absolutely mystified at your support of him > and his statements on this list...did you read what he wrote?

I said that he is a retired chiropractor. He has a chiropractor in his
office. He has been a Natural Hygiene doctor for many years and
primarily recommends nutrition and exercise to his patients. He told
me that that he was exposed to NH ideas in chiropractic school and has
been following them ever since. He feel that many NH doctors do not
teach the NH principles as accurately as they should and as a result
their patients do not achieve the levels of health that they could.
Most people feel that NH is very lacking. Ward Nicholson's excellent
articles on http://www.beyondveg.com are a must read if you want to
find out more. Dr Bernarr feels that he does better. He has seen the
positive changes in me as I went from raw vegan to raw omnivore (sort
of - no grains or legumes). He has been hosting the monthly raw animal
food potlucks that I have in Los Angeles. This has allowed him to see
other RAF eaters and how they are doing. As a result he now suggests
RAF to many of his vegetarian patients who are having trouble. He
tells them to first get their body in balance and that they can move
back to vegetarianism later. Of course some do not want to eat RAF and
he tries to work with them as vegetarians. And I do read everything
sent to paleofood. I do not approve every message that he or anyone
else that comes to me for approval. I used to have every new
subscriber come in on review but I found this not necessary for most
and stopped doing it. Much more work for me and slows down the flow of
the list. I can't always be on line waiting for a message to come in.
As far as Dr Bernarr, sometimes you have to be harder on your friends
simply because you are a friend. He is fully capable of fighting his
own battles but I want to maintain a certain standard of behavior and
content on paleofood. Ideas can be discussed and if they do not have
merit this will become obvious.

> I am also rather at a loss as to the criteria you use for moderation > of messages.  The struggle between the spirit of the law and the
> letter of the law is a constant theme in my work (law enforcement)so > I can understand how difficult it can be.
>
> It is a bit frightening that a message that can do widespread, > physical HARM to the public, is allowed to go unnoticed, and noone
> allowed to challenge it, lest they get a warning about the type of
> message sent. Yet, which had the potential to do most damage?  The
> worst that could have happened from a truly nasty and insulting > message (which noone has yet to send in my opinion) is to hurt the > doctor's ego. Big whoop.

Please, discuss ideas not the poster.

> The worst that could have happened by his irresponsibly broad > statement is ...hhmm..I dunno....death...?
>
> I don't want to alienate you. But I know how human nature can be..and > right now I suspect my subscription to this list is probably already > on pretty shaky ground...but if that's the price I have to pay to
> clarify that which is true, AND which has the potential to HURT THE
> PUBLIC AT LARGE, then I'll pay it.  I don't know what your loyalty to > this man is. If it's based on a real friendship, I applaud it.  But
> don't sell us out because of it.

Your subscription is in no danger even if you disagree with me. I
don't claim to know everything or even be always right. Say what you
feel and allow it to be discussed. I am not so sure that what he
recommends is dangerous. He seems to live what he says.

> I thought this list was created to do some good in society.  Not to
> protect those that would do it bad.
> Anyone else out there agree?

That is the intent of this list. Intelligent people sometimes disagree
on what is good. CAVEAT EMPTOR.