Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:41:58 -0400
Justin Hasselman  wrote:
>I know that a good quality, free-range meat is the best choice for eating
>meat raw b/c parasites & bacteria are minimal. But are there any choices I
>could make a the grocery store that would be safe?  What type of meat and
>what cut?

Rachel:  I'd suggest Coleman Natural Beef or Laura's Lean beef in grocery
stores.  Both are hormone and antibiotic free, reasonably priced and
available in many states.  If you want to know more about Laura's company,
visit their web site.  <www.laurasleanbeef.com>  I don't know if Coleman's
has a web site.  I've eaten Laura's ground round raw---so has my husband.
I've seasoned it with finely ground mineral rich (Celtic) sea salt, ground
black pepper or chipotle (smoked dried jalapeno pepper powder), prepared or
dry mustard, and pressed garlic--for steak tartare.  I've served it fresh
and also left such a mixture on a plate for several days in the fridge (when
I made a big batch), then sliced of portions for meals.  I've also left this
brand of unseasoned ground beef on a platter for a week to ten days, slicing
off pieces each day to eat with salad.  (When I first heard someone on this
list desribe aging beef in the fridge, I assumed they meant ground meat, so
that is what I used!)

You are responsible for what you do. Some people think I am nuts for eating
raw meat (even rare meat), but my diet is devoid of all junk food, very rich
in nutrients, and my immunity is excellent.  My husband and I both enjoy raw
meat and very rare meat.  If you think you need extra protection, when
eating raw meat, you could take a couple of grapefruit seed extract
capsules.  G. Seed extract has very potent antibacterial, antifuntal,
antimicrobial properties.  It also comes in a liquid which you can put in
water---but I warn you, the taste is strongly astringent!  (A few drops of
stevia help it go down...)

>At my grocery store, I noticed that none of the pork cuts were lean.  I've
>heard that eye round steak is just as lean as chicken breast - is that true?

Rachel: Chicken breast contains 1 gram of fat per ounce.  Turkey breast
contains 1/2 gram of fat per ounce.  Per 4 oz. uncooked portion Laura's 92%
lean ground beef --9 gram s of fat; for the 96% lean ground--4.5 fat grams
per uncooked 4 oz. protion.

Laura's steaks are as follows (per 4 oz. raw portion):  Eye of round 3.5
grams fat; sirloin tip 3 grams fat; ribeye 4.5 grams fat; strip steak 4
grams fat; sirloin top butt, flank steak and tenderloin filet, 4.5 grams
fat.

>  What about just regular round steak (not the eye cut)?  Isn't eye-round
>steak the leanest cut of red meat available?

Rachel:  If you want lean mean, look for any cut with the word round or loin
in it.... it need not be eye of round...

I don't have any affiliation with the company; I'm just impressed with the
quality and price of their produts adn what I've read about their growing
practices.  I have eaten their beef raw and rare.

>Let's say a serving of red meat is about 1 deck of cards.  How many grams of
>creatine are in this?

Rachel (actually DON!!! :-):
Creatine is not ATP; it's a storage molecule for phosplates. The key is
filling the liver with phosphates which is the principle behind some of the
non-stimulant weight loss products such as THRYO-VEDIC (found in health food
stores).

>>If it's even just a few, then eye round steak would
>be an optimal choice for fat loss during a low calorie diet.  During
>dieting, the body reduces T4 to T3 conversion by the liver b/c ATP stores
>are low.  But, even though the body is on low calories, if it gets ATP from
>creatine, it may be a way to 'trick' your body into preventing thyroid down
>regulation.  Any thoughts?

I'd focus on getting enough sleep, high intensity aerobic and anerobic
exercise, adding more strength and lean mass, etc.

>Oh, and 1 other thing.  Has anyone tried L-tyrosine as a supplement?  I've
>heard that it reduces appetited by stimulating adrenaline - to what extent?

Rachel:
I have taken it in the past.  I did not notice any difference myself.  You
might want to check out a formula to aid in throid health/metabolism/fat
burning called Thyro-Vedice.  It's not a stimulant and contains safe herbs
known to help with thyroid functioning.  You take it 30-60 minutes after
meals to boost calorie burning.

It also may help to cycle calories and carbs to avoid down regulation of
metabolism.  If you are going 500 calories below maintance all week, include
one day at maintenance calories.  If you are going low in carbs, perhaps
cycle them on different days or at least on your high calorie day.

Rachel