From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2000 18:36:05 -0400
On Tue, 11 Jul 2000, Dori Zook wrote:

> >After using a ketosix strip, I found that I'm pretty deep into ketosis...
> >now I wonder if the ketone bodies being produced are from >*bodyfat* being
> >burned for fuel instead of ingested fat.
>
> That's precisely what ketosis is.

No it isn't.  Ketosis is when more ketones are produced than can
be used, causing the excess to spill into urine (and onto
ketostix), breat, and sweat.  The fact of being in ketosis
establishes nothing about where the fat being burned is coming
from.  This is why people can be in ketosis for long periods of
time without losing any body fat.

In Phillip's case, some of the protein he is eating may be
converted to fat, but he is then using that fat at an even faster
rate, so there is a net loss.

Todd Moody