Date:
Sat, 23 Feb 2008 13:28:46 +1100
There is speculation that a highly refined carbohydrate diet causes PCOS in
the offspring of mothers who eat this way.  So in some way the genes are
altered for the next generation. However there is no actual research to back
this up and the whole issue of insulin resistance is speculative. Whether
insulin resistance is a side effect of PCOS or PCOS is a side effect of
insuline resistance is one of those things that research has also not been
able to establish (to my knowledge anyway).

Certainly a better diet assists in managing the symptoms of PCOS but you
still have the underlying genetic predisposition to insulin resistance,
weight gain etc.

Speculation is useful to develop hypotheses but only the science of good
research and can definitively answer any of these questions.

Leonie