From:
wayne hammons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Aug 2005 11:03:27 -0600
I am no expert on this subject but noticed that it was sponsored by the
sugar producers.  Unfortunately for the poor sugar producers, there is a
huge increase in alternative sweeteners not people consuming less products
that could contain sugar.  I have been seeing information periodically over
the years implicating fructose as a culprit in the increase in obesity and
other information implicating vegetable oils (especially hydrogenated oils).

We have a lot of antelope where I live and I have never seen a truly fat
antelope in the wild even though they have few predators and abundant food.
Eating a paleo diet that avoids foods that are processed seems to be akin to
eating in the wild.  I have not met a paleo-eater that is obese but I
haven't met very many, which bates the question about conventions or
gathering of paleo- dieters.

I think the bottom line is that people who care about their health are
steering from processed foods and thus eating less sugar and people who
would eat sugar can't because industry has transitioned to fructose, corn
sweeteners, and artificial sweeteners.  To consume sugar they would have to
purchase higher priced dessert items from bakeries that cook from scratch or
bake there own goodies.  This is fine for some but most people are not
committed to the sugar cause, they just want something sweet.

Wayne