From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 May 2008 09:21:21 EDT

In a message dated 5/4/2008 9:04:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

I'm at a loss to understand the running.  Why pound your bones into the
ground?

While I generally believe brisk walking insterspersed with some interval
bouts of sprinting is better exercise than continuous speed jogging, sometimes I
just feel like jogging.  It's very pleasurable for me to jog with some good
music. While it is certainly true that some people get joint problems from
jogging and/or running -- plenty do not.  Certainly being even slightly overweight
will cause tremendous strain to the knees, yet the running gets blamed rather
than the extra fat weight.   An orthopedist once told me that even  5 pounds of
extra weight is many times more than that to one's knees.  Also, improper d
iet and/or loss of hormones may cause joint pain & bone deterioration. In my
case, I stupidly spent years in my youth (college/grad school) running on hard
pavement in Boston -- not wise.   I'm also beginning to believe that much of the
knee and back pain blamed on running is actually caused by the weird
over-cushioned running shoes.  Anyway, proper running form performed by a
non-overweight body does not "pound the bones into the ground" in my view.

favorites at AOL Food.