From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 07:25:24 -0400
Re plant-foods:- Arguably, the only major expansion in plant-foods in the diet
was when the Neolithic era came around, since grains, tubers and legumes
were then consumed in large quantities. And, it's unquestionable that tubers
would have been a rarity before 250,000 years ago, given that many/most
have toxic substances in them such as cassava with its cyanide-content, and
even after that period, it would have presumably taken many generations to
work out which foods were only edible cooked but inedible raw. As for when
tubers were eaten in sizeable quantities, the only definite proof thereof is from
the start of the Neolithic era - as regards the period between 250,000 years
ago to 10,000 years ago, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Re tubers/malnutrition:- I don't think that the famines resulting from tuber-
consumption can be merely blamed on the not eating of meats. I mean, people
have already (wrongly, IMO) tried to use the same explanation re not eating
enough meats for the Neolithic era, but when one looks more closely at the
data, one finds that eating Neolithic foods like grains and dairy lead to all sorts
of specific problems(eg:- coeliac disease) which are not related to the not
eating of meats but the eating of those particular Neolithic foods.

Re "Palaeo"/cooking etc.:- The way I see it, the term "palaeolithic epoch" is
rather arbitrary and artificial, given that there are so many different variations
in it(eg:- the initial high raw vegan ideas, raw palaeolithic diet, and , lastly,
cooked-palaeolithic diet). Plus, it's absurd that a diet(ie "cooked, palaeolithic)
can be held as the "main" diet of the Palaeolithic, when this only covers a
mere 10% of the entire Palaeolithic period(cooking was definitely NOT invented
in the middle of the Palaeolithic(!) as cooking was invented only 250,000 years
ago, with the Palaeolithic era  starting c.2.5 or 2.6 million years ago, and
ending in the Mesolithic(roughly 20,000 years ago).

Given this confusion re Palaeo terms, it's understandable why Ray Audette and
many others have come up with a clearer definition of the term.

Re technology:- People have been trying for ages to find out the one unique
innate quality or cultural behaviour  that separates humans from all other
animals, and have  failed time and again,  as it was found that things like
laughter and tool-use etc. are present in other species too. Crows are well-
known to frequently  use tools:-

http://tinyurl.com/3qhuz

Chimps(and even gorillas to a lesser extent) have also long been known to use
tools frequently(including stone tools), thus demonstrating that tool-use was
present long before the Palaeolithic:-

http://www.archaeology.org/0801/topten/chimpanzee.html

Then there are plenty of other examples, such as vultures dropping stones
onto ostrich eggs to break them open, hooded monkeys using tools to solve
problems  etc.:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tool_use_by_animals

Another obvious point to make is that using flints and the like doesn't radically
alter the nature of the food in the way that cooking does. Such tools as flints
were used to gain better access to a food(eg:- by breaking open the skull to
get at the brain etc.), much like chimpanzees use sticks to flush out termites
from termite-mounds etc., they were not used to "process" the meats in the
extreme way that cooking does. So, since tool-use is also prevalent in wild
animals, it seems clear that "technology"  only started when humans first
invented fire, which is something no other animal has ever managed to do.

Geoff