From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Dec 2000 10:05:48 -0500
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 08:29:01 -0800, Oliva <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Blast it......  Oliva
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/01/world/01COW.html

BSE or Mad CowDisease is really quite an issue here.
At the office restaurant there's no longer offered beef and they
make efforts to offer fowl and pig meals only.

Now, due to a quick law *every* cow that's killed has to be BSE-tested prior
to marketing. If it's older than 30 months (not because it can't have BSE
earlier, but because it can't be detected before that).

People start to ask me and vegetarian friends "how to" make different meals
without beef.

It was only 2 cows out of 15 million which were found having BSE.
Probably many more have it (due to the sporadic testing up to now).

Still the chance to eat an infected cow is veeeeery low.
But people don't want to risk, *any* risk, even so small to get a deadly
infection. I suppose the threat of smoking is much bigger.

I don't bother about all this (ya know why).
In some way the evil agriculture practices have to be payed back now.

Amadeus