From:
Richard Geller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 23:27:48 -0400
Charles wrote:
> You might want to research traditional lacto-fermented drinks. Most
> traditional societies do not drink plain water, they nearly all have some
> kind of naturally fermented drink.

I don't see how these can be considered paleo. They are fermented from milk
meant to nourish a baby animal of a different species, not a person.

I believe that Todd and perhaps others have mentioned that small amounts of
milk could be considered paleo in that our ancestors hunted down baby
animals and would consume their stomach contents, which would of course
consist of fermented/digested milk. But I doubt this would be an every day
drink and cannot see how we are suited to consume it on a regular basis,
speaking paleolithically.

Traditional societies might not drink plain water because unless it is
boiled it can harbor a plethora of parasites and bacteria. Isn't tea a
fairly common traditional drink?

--Richard