From:
Richard Archer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Mar 1999 13:08:43 +1000
At 12:28 +1000 27/3/1999, Richard Geller wrote:

>There has been some talk about "your body craves a certain mineral so
>you crave arugula". But I want to point out that when we have a food
>intolerance often our body craves that food we are most intolerant of. I
>can't prove this except that empirically through this and other
>mailgroups it seems to be true. People allergic to wheat _love_ bread,
>for instance, and when they start eating it they can't stop.

This is the point I was trying to make earlier in this post, regarding
addiction to (and therefore cravings for) food we are allergic to, or
intolerant of.

I have looked through my archives, and found the post I was thinking of.
It is from Ron Hoggan last December, and I include some of that post here:

At 16:29 +1000 4/12/1998, Ron Hoggan wrote:

>As if this were not bad enough, there is an additional factor which
>contributes. When some cereal grain and dairy proteins (gliadins, glutens,
>and caseins) are not completely digested, the resulting peptides can enter
>the bloodstream in folks who have increased intestinal permeability.
>
>These peptides were named exorphins. They are very similar to the peptides
>from opiate drugs, and are sometimes called exogenous opioids. The good
>feeling that comes from these foods is part of an addictive process.
>
>I don't know if it has been addressed on this list before, but if you would
>like to see a more complete discussion of these dynamics, you can read my
>Master's thesis at:
>http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/hoggan/
>
>I have explored this topic with respect to ADHD.

This concept struck a chord with me, as my SO was suffering from
Candidiasis, which results in increased intestinal permeability.
She was trying to cut down on bread, and found it almost impossible.
The above theory explains this observed behaviour.

 ...Richard.