From:
Jens Wilkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 May 2003 22:28:28 -0700
--- Jean Risman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> One thing I like about paleo is not having to count.

I've sort of been intrigued by this. I remember
reading in the book by Loren Cordain, and also in
Neanderthin, that you don't have to cut calories under
a paleo diet because the protein and fat will satiate
you and it isn't possible to eat too much. This is
sort of a good theory, in a way, but it seems to me
it's still possible to overeat, meaning that people
will eat for psychological reasons, i.e. the pleasure
of eating itself.

In fact, I think it was a paper by Eaton I read
somewhere that said that one of the big problems with
modern society is that our diet has become "uncoupled"
from the effort it requires to gather it. Basically we
can eat as many calories as we can without having to
put any effort into getting it. So I would think that
for somebody like me who is basically sedentary -- I
work in front of a computer screen all day long --
it's better to restrict calories somewhat. Obviously
this would be different for somebody doing work
outdoors that uses real energy.

Jens