From:
Dedy Rundle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Nov 2011 10:29:10 -0000
I too find the whole, adamant conviction that 'Paleo = zero carb' a bit odd and mostly discussed in terms of people living in northern parts of North America with the odd mention of the Sámi and or similar...

The Paleolithic people who lived in Australia, around the Mediterranean, the Indian subcontinent, south-east Asia, Africa Central and South America etc. would have had a VERY varied diet and would not have turned their noses up at any edible items they came across just because they were not 'zero-carb'.

Please remember that Neanderthals lived in the middle east ALONGSIDE modern humans well into the 'late paleolithic period'... they ALL ate 'local' foodstuffs which, given the climate, would have included plenty of carbs in the shape of fruit, honey etc...

Dedy

From: "Ron Hoggan" <[log in to unmask]>Sent: 30 November 2011 06:20

Hi Batsheva,
Sure, but on the Canadian prairies and the northern plains of the USA frost
is in the ground for more than half the year, and most stored tubers and
squashes, etc. will not keep well in the freeze-thaw cycles of spring and
fall above ground. The further north you go, the shorter the season during
which eating such foods would be possible or likely. They probably relied
more heavily on meat and fats. In season, berries and other forage would
definitely be on the menu, but they had to compete with birds and bears for
these treats. Even in the far north, eating habits varied from one location
to another. This variation especially reflects their proximity to sea foods
and mammals.

Best Wishes,
Ron