From:
Esben Brun <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:33:38 +0100
From: Cairo Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 7:26 PM
Subject: [P-F] Fastest way to lose weight on Paleo?

> Can anyone tell me what is the fastest way to lose weight whilst following
a paleo regime?

Eating paleo in itself probably will make you loose fat:

NO grain-products,(cereals, rice, flour, bread, mais, oatmeal, muesli ..etc)
NO dairy-products
NO refined/concentrated starchy products
NO refined sugar  (but I think most people cheat on this :-)

..

Based on my own experience ,  I would recommend a   "low carb-Paleo-diet"
(NHE-diet):
The idea is to the change your metabolism , so you burn fat as  main fuel,
instead of carbohydrates.

How is this done ?  for ONE  INITIAL WEEK,   eat  LESS  than 20 grams of
carbohydrates a day .
This is essintial  for making the metabolic shift to fatburning!

For this first week !
no potatoes or other starhcy vegetabless, no sugar, no dried fruit,  no
bananas,  no fruits.
(no dairy, and no grain-products if you want to be paleo)

EAT  MEAT (as your primary food) :   If youre vegatarian  you have to eat
tofu and cheese -  but thats not paleo-foods .
EAT   FAT  (as your primary food) :   olives(black sundried yummy),
(fat)meat , cured meat, (fat)fish, bacon , eggs, olive oil.
EAT (in moderation) :   non starchy vegetables (cabbage, broccoli,spinach,
tomatoes, leek, onion , mushroom, peppers, etc.),

There is no fat limits  - eat as much as you like  ( in practice you wont
have an excessive appetite for fatty foods)
The same goes for meat - eat as much as you like.

After this initial week , the general NHE-plan begins:
30 - 60 grams carbohydrate /day  (max 25 g / meal) - Fruit and nuts are OK
(even recommended)  after the first week.
"carbload" every 3. / 4. day, only  last meal of the day :    eat unlimited
amount of carbohydrate  , but max 20 g fat , max 20 g protein
(ex.  carbload  every  friday and every monday ).
Eat many small meals - eat at least 4 meals  a day  (every 4 hours during
the day)

"DISCLAIMER :-) "    this is just  my shortversion interpretation  of the
NHE-diet  -  for details see  www.extique.com
(and sue Rob Faigan  if you  get any problems ;-)

 >Also is it possible to lose purely with the diet or
> will I need to incorporate exercise as well.

I  think so  -  I  havent done much exercise, yet lost weight (fat)
(however I'm a man - it might be harder for women to loose fat   -  other
posts on this list indicate that)
Another thing is that exercise will make you feel  -  so much better!
I recommend playful exercise like dancing, and  ...BEEP-ing  ;-)  - or just
anything thats fun for you to do with the body.
It is best to keep exercise short and intense  -  45 minutes ,  sweating.
Plenty of rest (min one day).
Moderate intensity  "so-called fatburning"  is not so good / healthy.
Normal activity (like walking) of course is good.

> 10lbs by Christmas Eve and would like some help on the best way to go
about
> this.

I think it takes longer time - sorry !

Esben