From:
Ginny Ford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 22:25:50 EDT

> Well, hemochromatosis is not that common, although it is the most
>  common inherited disease among white males.  There is, however, a
>  lack of confidence in estimates of its frequency in the general
>  population because it is so often undiagnosed.  I'm not
>  suggesting that it should be a general cause for concern, but it
>  is interesting that the difference between cardiovascular risk
>  between men and women in general becomes insignificant under two
>  circumstances:  If the woman has ceased menstruating or if the
>  man is a frequent blood donor.

From what I've read this information is not entirely correct.  Hereditary
Hemochromatosis is a genetic disease, the gene having been "discovered" in
1996, and is much more prevalent in the U.S. population that had been
previously thought.  The Center for Disease Control has declared it the most
prevalent genetic disease and estimates that one of every 200 people has the
gene.  Not all develop the disease, but many people who are diagnosed as
having other diseases have been found to have hemochromatosis.  Since iron is
collected excessively in the vital organs many symptoms occur which cause
misdiagnosis of other diseases.  Do an Internet search on either
hemochromatosis or "iron overload disease" and you will find many references.
The Iron Overload Disease Association is a proponent of making the blood test
for this disease a part of normal screening for physical exams, even in
children.  It is not just a "white male disease".

Ginny Ford, Hawthorne, CA
5'2"--199/156/135--Atkins since 19 May 1997