From:
Lynnet Bannion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 16:17:01 -0700
Lisa Griffith wrote:

> I just read NeanderThin a few weeks ago and am trying to get myself psyched up
> for it.  Does anyone have any great suggestions for getting started.  I
> noticed there is really no quantities listed as far as protein/carb/fat
> ratios.  I really only have about 8 more pounds of body fat that I would like
> to lose.  I'm most interested in the health benefits involved.  Also, I could
> use suggestions on recipes, etc.

I eased into it over about three weeks, dropping one forbidden "fruit" after
another.  I used carob to get over a bad chocolate addiction.  I used dried fruit
at first, then realized after several more weeks I was not losing weight, and
dropped that too.  Although you're dropping a large part of the SAD, you still
will have lots of great foods available to you.

Also note, for women especially, most of us just CAN'T eat the quantities of foods
Ray describes in the book, and still lose weight.  If you're wanting and eating
vast quantities of food, you need to rework your food choices: possibly too much
fruit, too much nuts, or too much non-paleo food.  Calories do count, somewhat at
least, in the total picture.  But you don't have to be hungry all the time either,
and in fact you should take steps to be sure that you are not.

Health benefits for people with allergies to grains, dairy, peanuts, chocolate,
and soybeans (five of the most common allergies) are dramatic.  Many of the people
on the list have overcome chronic illnesses, and I'll let them tell their own
stories.
You'll also be avoiding most if not all processed foods, and associated additives
and trans fats/vegetable (omega 6) oils. I personally think it's a good idea to
use organic fruits, vegetables, and meat as much as you can find (or afford).
Some people do significantly better on game or grassfed beef/lamb.  I'll stop
rambling on now.  Good luck!  Jump in, the water's fine!

Lynnet