From:
Hilary McClure <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 2009 17:11:04 -0400
Just got some blood lipid numbers for my brother after a month or so
of meat-only, high-fat living (conventional and grass-fed beef,
Alaskan salmon, chicken, olive-oil mayonnaise), and eight years of
off-and-on paleo low-carb with periods of cheating.

312  total cholesterol
215  LDL
64  HDL
43  Triglycerides

And this is at a BMI of 22.8 and blood pressure of 102 over 60-something.

To me, the numbers look great. Am I right that it's a nice high HDL
and a nice low TG? Which would mean the very high LDL is mostly
large-fluffy, right? Problem is that his doctor would probably want to
put him on statins without even checking LDL particle size, which
seems irresponsibly ignorant. The bigger problem is that he's planning
to apply for life insurance, and I expect they will use the number as
an excuse to double or triple his premiums. He could take Crestor
(rosuvastatin) for a couple of weeks and save $1,000 a year for the
next twenty years, but I wonder what damage he might do to his health
taking that poison for a few weeks.

Comments? Advice?

Thanks!
Hilary