Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 2002 01:18:37 -0800
JoAnn wrote:

>Christy, do you lift weights?  i began doing this a couple years ago, right
about when i turned forty, and am simply AMAZED at how it helps my body.  i
can eat a surprising amount of food, and not gain.<

JoAnn, how much how often (the weight lifting, not the food consumption!)?
:)

I'm curious whether anyone has noticed similar benefits from yoga, which
IMHO is more akin to weighlifting than it appears - ie, the weight's your
own body.

I tend to develop muscle quickly - actually stopped bike riding ages ago for
that reason - I was interested in *smaller* thighs, thank you very much. At
a gym I belonged to a couple years ago, I did literally just two days of
training (a leisurely hour) with weights, and swear there was a definite
difference after just two measly sessions.

I'm contemplating now doing yoga a couple times a week (makes me feel good -
is absolute wonders for making you not clumsy - instills balance, really).
It's also good for lean strongness. So I'm thinking of combining that with
selective weight training (low intensity for most of the body) a couple more
times a week. I think skating, for those who can do it, is also very good.
As you'll find out the day after your first go-round, one's muscles are
pretty much worked out. I think it happens just as you try to stay conscious
of keeping balance... doesn't 'seem' like you're busy working your muscles,
because your mind's focused on continuing to stand up and go in a straight
line and remembering how to brake. (Can you tell I'm a skate weenie?)