From:
Ashley Moran <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:35:01 +0100
On Jun 24, 2004, at 2:03 pm, Adrienne Smith wrote:
> What's wrong with a low-carb tuber?? -- I think it's a fantastic idea.
> Nobody knows what paleos ate for certain and there is much
> disagreement as
> to whether or not they ate tubors.  Many on this list eat yams and
> sweet
> potatos because they claim their lower glycemic index would be more
> akin to
> what our paleo ancestors ate. The new low-carb potato would be lower in
> carbs than sweet potatos and yams.  Any,  I do not believe that most
> of our
> modern non-starchy veggies are necessarily identical to what paleos
> ate.
> Also, many crops have been especially bred to be bigger, sweeter, etc.
> So I
> think it's a great idea to create a low carb spud. It may not be
> exactly
> paleo but it's an improvement over a popular high glycemic index food
> and
> it's a way to keep a lot of farmers in business. I'm all for it.

To me, the problem with starchy tubers is the cooking process.  Oven
baking or microwaving a potato transforms it into somethign completely
unlike the raw form.  You don't get such a dramatic effect with other
veg.  Even if paleolithic people did eat potatoes they were definitely
not cooked to the point of being a round lump of sugar.

Ashley