From:
Domhnall Seaghdha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 02:00:17 -0500
Hi, Robert...

Folate (AKA Vitamin B 9) is the natural form -- an anion --  found in leafy
vegetables, dry beans, peas and cereal grains prior to processing.  The term
comes from the Latin word for leaf, folium.  Folic acid is the manufactured
form used to fortify foodstuffs or to supply folate-equivelancy in vitamin
preparations.  As the modern diet does not usually provide enough of this
substance, it is usually added to cereal grain products such as breakfast
cereals.