From:
Amadeus Schmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:23:32 -0500
On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 09:27:03 -0800, Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>Amadeus:
> >I personally think that seeds (oily and starchy ones) and tubers are the
> >*best* paleo food man can eat. *The* real ecological niche for hominids.

>How about a little reality check on this alleged, past paleo-vegetarian
>glory
>of ours?... Here is what the Natural Hub
>website has to say on the issue:
>
>http://www.naturalhub.com/natural_food_guide_grains_beans_seeds.htm
>
>"Seeds were seasonal. ..."

100% d'accord with what naturalhub said.
One first lesseon to lear from this is variation over the year.

If you look how the availability of vaious food groups for a savannah
dwelling ape was, you see that seasonality is a common property.

Still fruit and tree seeds have their season.
Season for various fruit and nuts varies, but there is a time where
none of these is available.
At this time a fallback food is required.

Rainforest primates have tree bark ,leaves, pith as the fallback food.
That doesn't work in a savannah, this is why chimps, gorillas and bonobos
don't live there. The field was left to australopithecines, the bipedal
predecessors of homo.
Open Savannah leaves a terrific good fallback food: USOs (tubers).

This is what I told: seeds (oily and starchy ones) and tubers.
Note that nuts are oily tree seeds.

The mainstream anthropology thinks that the main fallback food for
erectines was hunted game meat.
I follow the tuber path, it seems more probable to me.

However the bipedal hominids now walking upright into the heat of the day
- with little fear of predators - have one more option to the gathering
tubers. Predator leftovers - carrion.
Particularly brain and marrow may have been available.

You can estimate yourself how the chances for additional
food energy were.

Amadeus