Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 08:24:57 -0800
An interesting set of observations. If I may comment:

>It includes the following major benefits:
>1.it's anti allergenic and/or less toxin containing
>2.it should provide more micronutriens, fiber and a better macronutrient
>mix
>3.it implies a better way to deal with food energy (sugars/carbohydrates)

Vegetarian dogma emphasizes the "value" of huge amounts
of fiber, a la Mr. Kellogg. But high fiber is not tolerated
by all, and can be irritating, not always healthful.

>I personally regard the "alien protein" explanation as faulty...
>But new classes of food toxins (antinutrients), to which our bodies are
>untrained or which are overdosed, seem probable to me.

What's with this "training"? "Training" one's body to deal
with mineral-robbing plant phytates has not been demonstrated
to my knowledge. Same for solanins, and many/most other toxins.
Also synergism or antagonism amongst toxins and nutrients
are just beginning to be understood. For instance, ascorbate
(vitamin C) neutralizes phytates, thereby facilitating
iron absorption. OTOH once you start cooking and storing
foods (Neolithism) much ascorbate is lost due to ageing
and the displacement of perishable, ascorbate-rich foods
from the diet.

What has been observed is that long-term adherents to one
dietary regime or another cannot simply switch to another
without consequences. Everybody's heard the story of a
vegan becoming violently ill after eating a hamburger, or of
a Paleo eating a plate of pasta and suffering carbo crash.

>As veggies rely on plants, this topic is important for us because
>most food toxins are found in plants- they try to defend from beeing
>eaten.
>Undoubtable humans and primates *are* plant eaters since ever, and
>therefore able to cope with this.

Doesn't seem logical to me. Another interpretation is that humans
benefit from eating meat from animals whose livers have already
detoxified all the plant poisons - sort of living refineries and
concentrators of nutrients. Not to mention a means to reduce wear
and tear on one's teeth from grinding all that plant stuff.

>To milk: i dislike milk and milk fat, but i do eat white cheese (milk
>protein)
>in small amounts most time of the year. Are we adapted to it?
>Hunters do eat suchalike cheese from stomaches of killed young animals,
>but thats not my point. We are mammals. Desinged to live from milk for
>years.

Yes, but you mean *Human* Milk, especially for infants. The suitability
of animal milk (or lack of suitability) has been discussed here often.
There is plenty of modern evidence that suggests long-term usage of
animal milk is indeed harmful to many human genotypes.

>Not the animal protein. I wouldn't expect any milk to contain natural
>toxins.

The relatively large amounts of natural growth hormone IGF-1 in milk might
be considered a toxin (identical in human & bovine). Certainly no
other dietary sources exist for this substance except the human breast.

>However, now many *are* allergic to milk, some may be to white cheese too.
>It would be easy to live without.

"Real" Paleos certainly do, and without these leaps of rationalization.

>...the plants will be very rich in
>micronutrients and fiber automatically. I pay much attention to this.
>Keys are fruit (better not so sweet), and *much* vegetables.
>In big portions like 3-500g spinach or broccoli, carrots, sweet ptatoes

Meat is also extremely nutrient dense.

>I do eat potatoes in conciousness of their toxin content, solanin.
>And they so good tasting sources of vitamin C , protein and proper carbos.

Fresh raw tubers might have "vitamin C", but once peeled & cooked
have probably lost most of this nutrient.

>Getting much of ones energy from fat has macronutrient implications.
>Most plants have more than adequate protein, if so much is eaten
>as necessary to satisfy the hunger after energy (calories).

Dispute this. The amino acid balance of most single plants
is entirely unlike that of egg albumin, the "gold standard".
Attempting to fill out the amino acid profile requires
mixing several plant foods, not necessarily desirable or paleo.

The comment was made that oils/fats are "only" energy.
This is not true! Certain fatty acids are used directly by
the body for nerve growth and repair. This is why the
low-fat diet fads are IMO dangerous.

Well, it's an interesting outlook, but I perceive
"Paleovegetarianism" to be an oxymoronic concept.

* Commercial and spam postings to alt.support.diet.paleolithic are not permitted *