From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:32:28 -0500
    For those of you on the lookout, as I am,  for material that explores
the question of what day to day paleo  life may have looked like,  check
out Tim Cahill's article,  "What about Atlatl Bob," in thew current
(December) Outside Magazine.  As is tyopical of Cahill,  it is a mixture of
science, travelogue and offbeat humor.  The article describes his foray
into activities of the Society of Primitive Technology and its activities.
It sounds to me like a group that is similar to the history buffs who dress
up and reenact the glory (but not the carnage) of the Civil War.  The
atlatl is a paleo weapon that was comprised of a dart and a throwing stick
and Allatl Bob is an engineer who wrote a paper on the biomechanics of the
device.  Cahill says, "Bob was awed by such Stone Age genius and was
certain that the Paleolithic atlatl maker understood the principles of wave
mechanics and propulsion physics."
    This type of stuff intrigues the hell out of me and I really enjoy
reading accounts of paleo life style and lore.  While these pages focus on
paleo diet,  I think that a more general understanding of paleo culture and
life habits will help us all sift through the scientific hypthecating that
we are trying to follow.   As Todd Moody has so often pointed out,  much of
what we are seeking on these pages is inferential and subject to debate.  I
find it  helpful to have an anthropologic context for the sometimes very
technical but instructive data re fat/ carb/ protein ratios,  chemical
constituents of same,  and hormonal effect!  Rick