From:
David Karas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 23:41:03 -0700
Jo Yoshida wrote:

> Hi David - did you gradually transition from cooked to raw or did you
> just jump right into eating raw animal products? If it was a gradual
> thing, were you able to notice any health benefits because of the
> change?

I went from 10 years as a raw vegan (with 2 years as a cooked vegan in
the middle) to adding raw tuna about once a week for about a year. Then
I started eating beef raw with occasional other mammal meats (lamb,
buffalo, venison). I really noticed the difference when I started eating
the meat on a daily basis. I had been protein starved. I gained about 20
pounds of muscle with out changing my physical activity (weekly hikes of
about 8 miles and massaging others). I started this because I had severe
dental infection that was not getting better on my vegan diet. I tried
the meat with the idea that I could always go back to being a raw vegan
again. After seeing the changes in the way I felt, I had no interest in
going back to veganism.

> Conversely, if you were now to switch back to cooked meat on
> a regular basis, do you feel your state of health would suffer as a
> result?

I don't know about this. I have no cooking facilities where I live. I
have tried cooked meat out for maybe 20 to 30 times. I just am not as
interested in it. I did notice some differences in my body that I didn't
like (intestinal gas and bowel changes). I did also eat raw meat on most
of the days that I ate cooked meat. I wouldn't want to test it further
at this time. I can eat cooked meat out occasionally but don't want to
make it a regular way of eating. I think my health might suffer. I do
know of others who have gone back to cooked meat from eating raw meat
and seem to be happy with the change.