From:
"T. Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:03:33 -0600
>Snow Light,
>a more natural moisturizer would be organic oive oil..

The subject of moisturizing skin has always mystified me a
little. How could olive oil be a moisturizer? It doesn't contain
any water (moisture) that I'm aware of. It is more or less pure
fat with some phytochemicals and other trace substances
blended in. If you rub oil into your skin, won't it then repel
water?

It seems to me that for smooth skin, a reasonable prescription
would be periodic exfoliation combined with a diet adequate
in water, vitamins/minerals, amino acids and EFAs. I haven't
yet encountered a convincing rationale for rubbing a substance
onto dead or dying skin cells, unless the goal is simply to provide
*temporary* smoothness or relief from roughness and itching.