From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2008 08:18:41 EST

In a message dated 11/10/2008 8:28:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Why smear the cheese with butter? It's not just non-Paleo, it doesn't seem
like many people would find that appetizing.

I merely used that as an example to show that fat and protein combos (unless
the portions are huge) simply do not impact blood glucose the way purportedly
healthy whole grains and even potentially healthy paleo fruits do.  Cheese and
butter sandwiches are the basis of grilled cheese sandwiches.  I merely
omitted the bread.   Many lowcarbers have cheese and butter snacks. Yes it's not
paleo, but I was merely making a point about protein/fat meal/snack combos.One
could use meat with normal fat on it to prove the point too.

I stated that pure paleo meals would work  so long as they are sufficiently
carb controlled.  The original poster had not yet made the foray into paleo and
for many, cutting grains and dairy all at the same time results in overeating
nuts and fruit.  That's all I was saying.

I agree that dairy is unnecessary for human health but some people seem more
genetically adapted to it.  I'm certainly not one of them but some are. I
think someone posted some interesting info on this before -- there a whole thread
on it -- search the archives if interested.  I have a problem with Cordain
lumping the effects of milk in studies with cheese, cream and butter.  The
effects can be different on insulin.  Lactose (milk sugar) is high in milk, but very
low in hard cheeses.  It's not as low in cream and butter but people aren't
generally drinking cups of butter and cream.

Bottom line is that the original poster had serious blood sugar swings and
300 blood glucose is not early type 2.  In my view, it is more important for the
poster to get her sugar under control via carb resistriction as soon as
possible rather than an all or nothing paleo approach which would necessarily have
to be a carb restricted paleo approach (ie nuts very carefully portion
controlled or even omitted -- Dr. Bernstein omits nuts as he says virtually none of
his patients can eat only small portions of them -- the original poster may be
an exception --- I have no idea.  As a non-diabetic, I find it impossible to
control my portions of nuts -- I can easily put down 8oz container of hazelnuts
for example.)  I was not suggesting that dairy is necessary for a diabetic --
not at all.  But the carb restriction necessary to bring 300 blood sugars
down would mean a very restricted paleo approach -- basically eggs, flesh and
veggies.  Certainly no fruit at the beginning and maybe never -- the original
poster would have to see how her glucose reacts by self testing with meter.  Nuts
are a maybe depending upon one's ability to portion control.  So for some of
us, that kind of restriction is not difficult, but for others, it may seem too
burdensome and the person will simply give up prematurely.  As one's insulin
and glucose normalize, carb restriction becomes easier and second nature.
Dropping grains is a must for a diabetic because of the blood glucose impact.
Cheeese, cream and butter do not have that impact and if a little cheese, butter
or a dollap of heavy cream makes the transition easier for a type 2 diabetic
going paleo, I think they should continue to eat those things as they get
their blood  sugars under control and then start dropping them.  Many on this list
do include a bit of dairy and seem to fare quite well.  Is it paleo? No.

Speaking of Dr. Bernstein -- now in his 70s -- is in remarkable health by any
standards but even more so given that he has had type 1 diabetes since the
age of 12.  He eats dairy and is in far better shape than plenty of men half his
age.  To be clear, I am not advocating dairy and sorry if my posting was
misconstrued -- I merely used it as an example and didn't want a diabetic paleo
newbie to be dissuaded by an immediate all or nothing approach when she would
necessarily have to restrict or possibly even omit some paleo foods (nuts,
fruits, tubors) in addition to dropping grains and dairy.

Holiday needs. Search Now.
-aol-search/?ncid=emlcntussear00000001)