From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Feb 2006 14:46:58 -0500
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:27 Ashley Moran wrote:

>Do you feel weak on your current low-carb diet, or do you find
>yourself unable to train as hard/long as you want?  If you are
>frequently training to the point of collapse, maybe you should add
>some fruit in your diet to replenish your glycogen faster.  But if
>you are really training that hard - maybe you should ask yourself
>why?  Like I said before, once you have the muscle structure you want
>you shouldn't need to work hard to maintain it.  If you want to stay
>fit, maybe you would benefit from something complementary like
>swimming, running, climbing, yoga, etc.  That way you're giving your
>body a broader workout.

My own exercise and activity regime is modelled on Art De Vany's, with short intense sessions.
Like Art, I use the "double your body weight" deadlift as a benchmark and do that just once a week
or so to keep it up. (see pics at http://www.evfit.com/dead_lifts.htm) All low carb, especially in
winter and spring when fresh fruit isn't available. I find no difference in my performance in winter
or late summer, (that's now, when fresh fruit is plentiful and part of my daily diet). I visit the gym a
couple of other days each week for exercises of similar intensity, but different type - all
compound.

The only difference between low and medium carb is that I detect a metallic smell in my breath
which I believe is evidence that I'm in ketosis. But this does not affect my lifting ability in any way.

Keith