From:
"Robert A. McGlohon, Jr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 17:21:52 -0600
Mary wrote:

> Does anyone have a recipe for chicken livers?

        My mother used to make an hors d'oeuvre of chicken livers wrapped
around and water chestnut, all wrapped in bacon.  Last week, I tried to
re-create that recipe with some success.  I left out the water chestnuts
because a) I did not have any, and b) wasn't sure if it was paleo.

        1. Wrap half a piece of bacon around a chicken liver; secure with a
tooth pick.  (The chicken livers are lively suckers, and this is easier
said than done.)

        2. Heat about a quarter-inch of olive oil in a frying pan (300
degrees
in an electric skillet?), and brown the livers on both sides.

        3. Pre-heat oven to about 325 degrees.  Place the browned livers in
pan and bake until it smells done.

        Chicken livers are available in regular grocery stores here in
Texas,
costing about $1.20 for a pint tub.  I did up two pints, with about a
pound of bacon, and had delicious snacks to last for a couple of days in
the refrigerator.

        The liver is a little on the mushy side, so I'm sure water chestnuts
would add to the enjoyment.  Anybody know if water chestnuts are paleo?

        Whatever the case, this is a cheap source of good tasting protein,
and
a nice break from steaks.

Robert