From:
Judy Genova <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Oct 2001 20:19:33 EDT
I read the recent link about sunflower seeds with great interested.  I've
been experimenting with "living foods" in conjunction with the rules of paleo
eating.  So, I've been adding things like sprouted, dehydrated seed crackers
to my diet.  Many of the bases of the "cookies" and  "crackers"  I make are
sunflower seeds and flax.  While all the ingredients I use are paleo
friendly, I'm wondering if eating whole, soaked and sprouted seeds
(sunflower, flax) and nuts ( mostly almonds, walnut, pine nuts) can upset the
Omega 3:6 ratio we try so hard to keep in balance by eating Paleo....  What
percentage of nuts and seeds did Paleo people here in the Northeast include
in their diet? If I eat grass fed everything, will the seeds and nuts upset
the applecart, so to speak....?

I have a few Native American cookbooks.  While the recipes call for sunflower
butter or oil dribbled on just about everything, I question how prevalent
these foodstuffs were in  the daily fare of hunter gatherer tribes, as
opposed to the more agricultural ones.

Cheers,

Judy Genova, cavegirl