From:
Katie Bretsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 08:07:56 -0800
For some info on wild food in North America, check out.....

<http://www.teleport.com/~wildfood>

>Wild Food Adventures
>Provides outdoor education, training, and recreation using edible wild
>plants through workshops, expeditions, presentations, and contracted
>training anywhere in North America. We can serve as outdoor guides and
>outfitters. Technical advising, curriculum development, and custom research
>services are also available. Emphasis is on the past, present, future and
>everyday uses of edible wild plants and other forageables. We also produce
>the Wild Food Adventurer, a regionally and nationally focused publication
>on wild foods.
>
>Our Mission
>To help people connect with the Earth, Earth culture, and human history
>through the study of edible plants in natural settings. People who
>genuinely make these connections will live more sustainable lifestyles, be
>better stewards of the environment, & have fun.
>
>Areas of Expertise
>Edible wild plants and other forageables of North America. Wild foods of
>Native Americans. Wild foods in wilderness survival. Wild gourmet garden
>vegetables. Plant identification. Poisonous plants. Sea vegetables.
>Processing wild foods. Nutrition of
>wild foods. Simple and sustainable living. Cooking and processing
>techniques, & more.
>
>Edible Wild Plants and other Forageables Defined
>Edible wild plants are wild plants with one or more parts that can be used
>for food if gathered at the appropriate stage of growth, and properly
>prepared. Forageables are foods, plant and animal, that you can gather as
>opposed to hunt.
>
>SERVICES WE PROVIDE
>
>Technical Advising / Research
>Dr. Kallas can advise on and/or investigate the edible properties of any
>plant and its relatives for academic, culinary, theatrical, agricultural,
>or food product development. Screen writers will find our expertise on wild
>foods valuable to reasonably portray Native American, pioneer, and
>prehistoric foodways.
>
>Training / Curriculum Development
>We work with outdoor organizations, schools, businesses, and individuals to
>develop
>and implement high quality training on wild food topics. Wild foods can be
>easily integrated into science, adventure, and experiential curricula.
>Apprenticeships,
>advanced training, study groups, and focused retreats are on-going and can
>be arranged.
>
>Speaking / Presentations
>Dr. Kallas gives entertaining slide presentations to businesses,
>organizations, and schools.  He speaks to professional and lay groups in
>areas related to wild foods.
>
>JOHN KALLAS, Ph.D.
>
>Is an authority on edible wild plants.  He's the instructor, researcher and
>director of Wild Food Adventures. as well as the publisher, editor, and
>feature writer of the Wild Food Adventurer newsletter.   John has a
> [...]

Note new email address ---> [log in to unmask]
Note new email address ---> [log in to unmask]
Also a backup address  ---> [log in to unmask]
Note new email address ---> [log in to unmask]
Old address on Teleport will discontinue service about Mar 30, 99.