From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jun 2002 18:08:28 -0400
On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Craig Smith wrote:

> I'd suggest you get the Eades' new(ish) book, _The Protein
> Power Lifeplan_, and Diana Schwarzbein's _The Schwarzbein
> Principle_.  The former presents a wonderful "soft intro" to
> paleo, offering three levels of faithfulness or commitment
> to a paleo diet, from Hedonist to Dilettante to Purist.  The
> latter offers the most cogent explanation I've ever read on
> the effects of the standard prescribed diet for diabetics;
> she's an endo who got her start working exclusively with
> Type IIs, and discovered to her chagrin that the diet she
> was prescribing was actually making her patients sicker.

I especially second the recommendation of the Schwarzbein book.
The fact that she is an endo with a lot of experience treating
diabetics will help, in my view.  And there is little or not
paleo rhetoric to push their buttons.  Whether we like it or not,
the whole paleo concept sounds crankish to many people.
Schwarzbein's approach is *medical*, and that will help.  Much as
I like the Eades' book, I think they will probably find
Schwarzbein more palatable, and the differences between the two
approaches are not significant enough to matter.

Todd Moody