Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 08:28:26 -0400
Thomas Seay wrote:
> I know that for extremists
> "PLEASURE" and "FUN" do not figure into the equation.  The only
> important thing to such people is
> to neurotically follow their program to the letter.
While some of what you are saying is true, I think many
people are reacting because you are ascribing motives where
not quite appropriate. I, for one, enjoy having fun and
would not want to live life without pleasure. Yet I follow
what is probably one of the most restrictive diets (and I
am NOT a celiac or severely allergic to any food). It's just
that I don't find that I am sacrificing all that much by
giving up a lot of what's in the standard diet. I still
enjoy my meals just as much as I did before. I also don't
suffer in social situations because of my diet. So I do
follow the diet rather strictly, but am not giving up
fun, please, or much of anything else.  I also want to point out
that I don't follow this diet because of some philosophy,
belief system (other than science) or emotional attachment
of any sort. It is not a comfort blanket for me or some
kind of discipline tool. Pure and simple I feel a lot better
when I eat this way, I believe I will live longer and
be healthier, and I don't give up much to get it.
Yet you keep calling people like me fanatics solely on
the basis of us very strictly following the diet. Now,
you have stated your opinion quite a few times by now. If
you feel you need to post again on the subject, please
explain why you call various people fanatics WITHOUT
assuming their motives (since you have no idea what they
are, and in many case are wrong).

Ilya