From:
Dianne Heins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 11:48:04 -0700
At 09:37 AM 3/19/01 -0800, Mary wrote:
>I am planning a sleepover for Larry.
>
>The kids would come after dinner at 7 pm.
>
>They are going to sleep out in the back yard.
>
>I thought it would be fun to roast some meat on a stick (instead of s'mores
>for example!!)
>
>Does anyone have any ideas of a fun way to do this? Should I get a pork or
>lamb roast and cut it up to put on sticks?? Hot dogs are out because of all
>the additives. I need pure meat and preferably not beef.

I think it'd be fun... however, a couple of thoughts occur to me (from what
I've learned camping with neice and nephews and occasionally their
friends):  lamb tastes different than chicken, turkey or beef (the meats
the kids are most likely used to) and therefore may not go over,
well--pork, it depends on whether they've had it before.  Also, a lot of
kids nowadays don't even have the patience to roast a marshmallow, and meat
takes longer (and due to the fat, gets hotter and could be more dangerous).
 I'm not saying it wouldn't work--only that these potential problems
occured to me.

At least you won't have to worry about sugar-induced craziness :)

I think I'd keep with the jerky snacks and such, for in the tent...  and
concentrate on games that'll have them running around to wear them
out--hide and seek in the dark, flash-light tag, etc.

>Any other paleo ideas??
>
>I was also planning to provide the other kids with beef jerky and Larry
>with venison jerky for a snack out there.

A small amount of nuts wouldn't be too high carb and would add a little
variety.  Hard boiled eggs?  It's gonna be a mess no matter how you look at
it :)

What are you going to give them to drink?  All the friends of my brother
and sister's kids don't seem to believe you can drink anything that's not
sweetened.  I've seen kids refuse water, get dehydrated and grumpy and
still won't drink it (not the ones related to me, mind you!).  Even at
socker games and such, the snacks, while including water, generally also
include juice (more often a "juice drink"), maybe some fruit, and things
like granola bars with chocolate chips!  These are the so-called
health-conscious types.

Anyway, perhaps Larry's friends are used to eating "weird food" at his
house and you'll have an easier time of it.  I'd be curious to hear what
you do end up doing and how it goes, though!

>For breakfast, I dont' even know yet! The other kids are used to pop tarts
etc.

>I was thinking of making eggs and bacon (whether they like it or not!!! no
>pop tarts here!) and making Larry his own scrambled quail eggs and uncured
>bacon.

If they're used to pop-tarts, they might not even like eggs (our low-fat,
low protein emphasis has made eggs and bacon taboo, cereal better... which
has lead to high sugar cereals and pop tarts being acceptable in homes
where "bacon and eggs" would be shunned!  bizarre)...  it's not carb-free,
but how 'bout some of those nut-flour based pancake ideas?  With bacon.  As
a kid, I loved applesauce on waffles...  something like that, or a syrup
made by heating and watering down (or even oiling down) some all-fruit
preserves would again be higher than normal carbs, but a bit more
controllable, look at least somewhat familiar and deal with the sweet tooth
(and hopefully, you can get your son to eat more bacon or some such?)...

I don't know, just thoughts off the top of my head.

Dianne