From:
Erik Hill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:40:50 -1000
> only number that hasn't become completely normal is my blood pressure,
> but
> it is a lot better than before.

For me the trick to getting my blood pressure to a healthy 110/75 or so
(with some variation but never higher than about 125/85) from a VERY
unhealthy 170/110 was food allergies.  In fact it was food allergies
that forced me onto the paleo diet at first.  I developed allergies to,
well, everything, and finally just put all the foods that I _could_ eat
into an internet search engine in the hopes of finding recipes (tired of
eating one food dishes).  Well, www.paleofood.com came up at the top of
the list, so I learned about the paleo diet and got on it (getting OFF
of a very low-carb diet).  I have discovered that the best diet for me
is a paleo diet with carbs that are no less than 30 but no more than
about 90.  (Less than 30 makes me sick and anxious and more than 90
gives me all the classical high-carb problems that most of you are
familiar with).  Perhaps someone will tell me about this cyclical
low-carb paleo diet?  I am curious about that.
It is possible to have hidden food allergies to which the only symptom
is a raising of blood pressure.  I remember reading about one doctor
putting 12 difficult-to-treat high-blood-pressure patients on a water
diet for 12 days (all blood pressure went to normal then), then adding
foods one at a time until their blood pressure jumped.  Then he would
remove that food and add different ones.  Eventually they were all
eating (somewhat) normally and all had normal blood pressure.
It is possible to be allergic to paleo foods, however most food
allergies are to non-paleo foods, especially mine.  Paleo-wise, I'm only
allergic to nuts and several vegetables, but non-paleo, I'm allergic to
milk, all grains of every variety (except buckwheat), and night-shades,
which I consider to be non-paleo since they are new-world.

Erik